- Helped a friend get a Ness costume together (and by helped, I merely said "buy those over that")
- Learned to crochet! Picture attached below for proof
- Working on a Wind Waker (the baton, not the game)
- Working on a Dr. Stein screw for another friend (which needs to be done by Friday...)
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Saturday, October 11, 2014
Sunday, October 5, 2014
Saturday, September 27, 2014
First off, I was able to get new blades for my 3D magic life counters! I'll be posting a picture of those in the next few days as I make progress on them.
Collin (the companion cube) is coming along nicely! I need more foam, though, to feel the corners.
I also bought a bunch of Halloween makeup stuff, and have been testing it. Mostly just to ensure I don't break out in hives from anything.
And, as an aside, I've been busy working on my car. Personal followers will know that I had to buy a new car a month back, and I've been slowly working on small things with it (fuel filter swap, seafoamed the engine, cleaned some sensors, and other small things)
First off, the original test part. It was (as you might recall) was done on a small hunk of foam with two layers of cloth. Now, the two layers was enough to make ot pretty sturdy, but I decided to add two more layers: and that thing is rock solid now. I think I could get away with three...but overkill!
Anyways, the reason I bring this up is that I was able to add more cloth to the test piece without ruining the part (ie, making more ripples in it inadvertently). This means that if you put too little onto the foam core, then melt out the foam core, you can still add more to the part without ruing the shape you may have had with the foam core there!
Second off, I did more testing on melting the foam core. I wanted to try and cheapen the cost of the melting by seeing is a diluted mixture would still work. Short answer: it doesn't. I first tried a 1:1 water/acetone mix (which I have in a spray bottle for Percy [my 3D printer]). This literally didn't do anything but make the room smell like nail polish remover and make the foam wet. Next was a 1:2 water to acetone mix. This did a bit more, but not enough to actually be useful. So, Short and skinny of it: you'll be better off sticking with a 100% acetone mixture.
Which brings me to the last point on this last run of tests: straight acetone will get...cloudy. I'm sure that you can only use so much acetone on the foam before the 'melted' foam inside the acetone ruins the acetone's ability to eat at the foam. However, at this time, I don't think this is a massive issue as the acetone pot I've been using is a 8oz jar, and the foam bits dissolved inside that pot look like a pinch of blue sea salt. I'll probably do more tests on this to see just how much foam I can melt into an 8oz jar before it [acetone] can't melt no more.
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Friday, September 19, 2014
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
More work on the hand plates for the Daft Punk get up! With any luck, these should be done next week and all prepped for vacuum forming.
Also, in the background, you can see a Hannibal Letter mask I tossed together for a friend. Not quite done as I need her for strap sizing.
Sunday, September 7, 2014
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
This was taken at work, so, sadly, I am not talking to explain the parts your looking at.
So, from left to righ:
At about the 24 second mark, you can see me grab the pink wire and press a button on the board. This [button] is to toggle from the pattern mode to VU Meter mode. You should be able to hear me blowing on the mic (which is at the end of the pink cable).
Again, this is a TEST! I will be cleaning up the code a bit in certain areas, and, when it is in the helmet, replace the button with a toggle switch.
Also, for blog purposes: this test bed is just that: a test bed. It's being used to test the code for the Guy-Manuel helmet and for the proton pack, thus the reason for all the excess LED's. The whole thing is being ran off an Arduino Micro, and (for testing purpose) that is being powered off of my laptops USB port.
Monday, September 1, 2014
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
I've been throwing a log of my down time at work to coding. I already have the core of the guy Manuel helmet code done (which I'll be posting soon!). And, since the test bed I was using could easily be quickly adapted to support proton pack lights as well, I decided to just throw on the lights needed.
I'm kinda sad that I can't embed the video via mobile, so I might change up how I post videos...in the time being, here is the link.
Proton Pack test: http://youtu.be/mVhxknl4ZqU
Friday, August 22, 2014
I will now be using this for my project blog, and I will (hopefully) keep on top of updating it this time round.